Biography: Unfortunate Events


Anyone that knows me personally, knows that I am notoriously unlucky. I’m not sure what mirror I shattered or maybe this is all karma for something I did years ago, I’m not sure. Some of the most recent events of my unlucky streak include:


-Getting $120 worth of parking tickets in Stillwater last week. I assumed parking outside the Greek houses wouldn’t require a parking pass and they would have free parking on weekends anyway. I didn’t go to my car Fri-Sun, but the parking services made sure they stopped by and ticketed me.


-Last finals week, my phone broke beyond use right before my exams and I didn’t have time to get it repaired, which meant I didn’t have an alarm for my 8 am. Luckily for me though, I had to stay up all night anyway to study for my exam, so I didn’t need the alarm too badly.


-Pulled over for my tag being almost a year expired and got a ticket (I know this is one is my fault, but in my defense, I don’t know car things my dad does this for me). Bonus bad luck: I had lost my ID and was driving home to get another, so I got a ticket for not having a license.


-When I arrived in Dallas for OU/TX last year, I was told there was no room at the place I was originally supposed to stay. Which made me and my friend homeless for a full day, since neither of us were from Texas. My luck did turn around though when we found somewhere to stay. But then turned back around when my phone got stolen along with my license and debit card at OU/TX last year.


-My mattress at my house is currently on the floor, because the company sent me the bed frame missing one of the parts. I’ve called six times since and they have continued to send me the wrong part, so I’ve given up hope.


-In November I visited my best friend in Alabama, I was so excited and had been waiting all year to visit her. The day I got there, I got the flu and could barely get out of bed the whole trip.


I know some of these situations could have been avoided with simple common sense, but I am not fortunate enough to have any common sense. Also, while I may seem pessimistic about these events,
I’ve grown to appreciate my bad luck and how I’ve learned to handle and remain optimistic through situations like these. Before my friends began telling me, I had never really considered myself "unlucky" and I'm still not sure if I would. Through my series of unfortunate events, I’ve grown a stronger appreciation for all the things I am lucky for.

The black cat that must've crossed my path 



Author’s Note: For this week’s biography, I was drawn to the story prompt about the luckiest or unluckiest thing that has ever happened to me. I couldn’t think of a specific unlucky event, so I decided to share multiple bad luck stories. While I think I've had some tough luck, I think it's taught me some valuable lessons. I’ve been working on writing stories similar to how I would tell a story in person, which means causes them to be a bit more dramatic and exaggerated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 7 Story: Mahabharata Family Tree

Introduction to Clara