Wikipedia Trail: from Nagas to the Roman Empire

NagaI started my Wikipedia Trail with nagas after reading about them in the Mahabharata. Nagas are half-human half-serpent beings that reside in the underworld. They are brought up in the Mahabharata when they attack Bhima when he is in the underworld.
Garuda
Next I clicked on a link to Garuda, since he is an enemy of nagas. Garuda is a bird or bird-like creatures in Hindu mythology. Indonesia uses the Garuda in a a different form for it's national symbol.
 Phoenix
Indonesia uses the symbol of the Garuda intertwined with a phoenix, which led me to my next Wikipedia link. A Phoenix is associated with the sun and obtains new life by rising from ashes. It represents renewal, as well as concepts such as the Roman Empire, time, and the Sun.
Roman Empire
I clicked on the Roman Empire because it was one of the things a phoenix symbolized. I was also interested because I took Latin the past two semesters, so we were constantly learning about the history and people in the Roman Empire.
The Roman Empire in it's greatest extent (Wikimedia)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 7 Story: Mahabharata Family Tree

Introduction to Clara