Learning Challenge: I Wish My Teacher Knew

For my learning challenge this week I read the New York Times article, "What Kids Wish Their Teachers Knew" by Donna De La Cruz. I expected the notes to be kind letters to the teacher, letting her know what she could improve or change about her class. Instead, the letters were about the struggles the students were dealing with outside of school. I think these things are important for teachers to know, so a child's poor behavior or lack of success in a class can be better understood, ultimately leading to improvement. I went to school in Oklahoma where teachers are underpaid, and towards the end of my high school, many of the teachers that were genuinely passionate about teaching left to other states to get higher pay. With a graduating class of about 1,200 and every class I had was filled with about 30+ students, there weren't many opportunities for teachers to get to know their students. My teachers always offered to be there for students in need, but I think the letter being kept anonymous allowed the students to really open up while keeping their privacy. I have never participated in something like this, but I wish I would've had the opportunity to and I think it's a great way to show compassion for students.
Compassion word cloud (Pixabay)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 7 Story: Mahabharata Family Tree

Introduction to Clara